Tuesday 18 May 2010

Driving


Sucking on a tangy seat-belt 
buckle for as long as my tongue 
can handle. Are we nearly there 
yet? Just seven real minutes pass,
but a whole lifetime of longing 
has passed for seven year old me.
Excited and eager, I squirm 
for my freedom, but time stands still

but time speeds on just above the
speed limit and I convince my
self I'm car sick and stare out of the 
window in an attempt to force 
the spider in my gut to sit 
still and Mum asks, What's a baby
swan called? And we never know
the answer and time just stands still

but it crashes on and on and 
now I reflect on reflections
of C.S. Lewis and realise
that I can find my joys and my 
despair within ancient songs and 
Dad glances over and is it 
just retrospect or did we both 
think that this was the last time and

that this was the first time that it
was me at the wheel, calluses
eroding on the sand-paper
surface. As I take a corner 
at just above the speed limit 
a millipede dances on Dad's 
heart and then rests as we squeal to 
a halt. We gasp, breathe and laugh and...          time trundles on.

1 comment:

  1. haha, I got a mild feeling of fear when I saw that this entry in titled driving, and theres a picture of Dad! Its a lovely poem.

    What is a baby swan?!

    ReplyDelete