Wednesday 5 May 2010

Debate

David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Lord Pearson stood waiting for the much-anticipated pre-election debate on the eve of the big day, but where was Gordon? No one knew. The polls were in and only 9% of the population were voting for Labour and now the PM couldn't even manage to turn up on time. 
  Cameron stood calm and tieless in an attempt to appear approachable. Clegg had a slick pin-striped suit and a tasty yellow tie. The Lord appeared somewhat unkempt with a black shirt hanging loosely below the waistline accompanied by a thin grey tie, but Brown remained invisible. Word finally reached the restless audience that incredibly, with the tide of the public seemingly against him, Brown had stood down. Peter Mandelson was willing to take up the prickly baton, but his Maths teacher was refusing to let him leave. With Labour in disarray, an elderly gentlemen in a yellow flowery shirt clambered out of the crowd and stood in the position of reigning Prime Minister even if would only be for a day.
  If my school were the nation, this would have been the farcical Election Eve happenings. I stood as Gordon and it was a rather odd experience. I tried as much as I could to take on the role and the policies of Gordo rather than using the opportunity to put myself in the position of political guru. As I stood talking about his policies to the meagre lunchtime throng I realised that sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don't and I walked away slightly befuzzled, but still pretty clear in my head where my cross will be going tomorrow. Politics is complicated stuff and I'm never going to agree wholeheartedly with any one party, but I guess you have to come to a conclusion about who you agree with the most and that's what I've tried to do although tactic plays a small role too. Tomorrow will tell whether I won any voters in this miniature version of the real thing, but I doubt I made any meaningful difference as only 2% of the voters were present. 

1 comment:

  1. I am shocked at the total lack of the UKIP party in this blog. Their party has a much merit as any other, and I take your refusal to include them in this blog as discrimination.

    ReplyDelete