Saturday 25 September 2010

David Miliband

I am an older brother David who has chewed on the pill defeat.
It tasted pretty foul, I wish it was something I was never forced to eat.
I had six and bit more earth years to prepare for the battle
When Jethro was born - he posed little threat holding a rattle,
But as he grew older, the competition would start.
The battle lines were drawn over the wondrous Mario Kart.
Victories were easy over the sausage-fingered fool;
P'raps I was complacent, but life tempted me out as I finished school.
My fingers became less nimble as I found mosh pits in the city centre.
Mario and Yoshi just couldn't give me enough adventure,
But young Jethro stayed at home honing his skills
Preparing to slip me those poisonous pills
And as I rose blearily from my bed one morning
I should have been wise, should have spotted the warning,
But my pride was about to take a colossal blow
As I nonchalantly switched on the Nintendo.
Jeth's technique was sharper and more exact
While my partying in the centre had left little intact -
Victory was his and I still hang me head
And wonder if I should have stayed at home instead.

And I wonder whether David Miliband feels the same?
Does he look at himself and accept some of the blame?
Did he party too long in the political centre?
Did he neglect his roots when he stopped being a backbencher?
Younger brother Ed was left at home carefully preparing his voice
And in 2010 presented himself as a marginally better choice;
When the votes were counted he got 50.65%
And David's ego took a battering ram dent,
And as the dust settles and DM clears his head
Will he, like me, wish he stayed at home instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment