Sunday 16 December 2012

Sports Personality of the Year for People Whose Name Begin With D

I am a little perturbed that this evening's Sports Personality of the Year award is dominated by people whose names don't begin with the letter D. There is one contender whose first name begins with D: David Weir and not a look-in for anyone whose surname begins with the letter D. This is a clear case of alphabetical elitism and so here is my own Sports Personality of the Year nominations for British sports stars whose surnames begin with the letter D.

1. Charlotte Dujardin
Great Britain had never even received a medal for dressage before this summer (dressage, by the way, is that funny horse dancing thing that is difficult to get that excited over) - ignore my parenthetical comments because that is perhaps why Dujardin didn't make the list. She was the woman that earned Team GB their first ever dressage medal (and it was of the gold variety); as she completed her triumph, the commentator claimed she'd 'iced the cake in style' which is quite an achievement whilst riding a horse. She then went onto win a team gold as well. Two golds in a sport that GB have always sucked at is surely worth a nomination.

2. Jermaine Defoe
23 goals so far in 2012 for Tottenham Hotspurs and England striker surely warrant an inclusion. It's as if England's abject failure in the European Championships was overshadowed by the 84 medals Team GB racked up, but this wasn't Jermaine's fault. He was a barely used substitute (hmm, that's not a great selling point really).

3. Tom Daley
Daley's bronze surely deserved recognition from the shortlist selection committee and to be fair to SPotY, they have allowed the young diver to stroll onto the stage and talk through the triumphant moment of his third place finish, but unfortunately his Speedos were just too small for him to be considered a valid contender.

4. Kenny Dalglish
The legendary number 7 and manager of Liverpool had a 2012 to remember. He spent £100 million pound on substandard footballers; managed Liverpool to their worst ever league finish in 18 years; defended Luis Suarez when he refused to shake hands with a black man (Patrice Evra) he'd racially abused a few months earlier and then as a result of these calamities, got the sack.

5. Dion Dublin
Oh dear, this is the third footballer (or ex-footballer) that I've nominated, but I don't really care that much about any other sport. I'll watch Wimbledon and I enjoyed the Olympics, but when it comes down to it, I only really like football and I just saw Dion in the audience. He's done a fine job this season, occasionally featuring as a pundit on Match of the Day 2. In 2011, Dublin invented a percussion instrument called 'The Dube' which he performed in a gig with Ocean Colour Scene, but unfortunately this high moment in his career cannot be recognised because it happened last year. Kriss Akabusi is in the crowd as well and that excites me greatly, but unfortunately his name doesn't begin with D. Sorry Kriss.

6. Steven Davies
Cricket bloke Steven Davies got a recall to the England squad this year; that's not bad eh. He hits a ball with a bat and once ran from one wicket to another 192 times in one game which is pretty good. I've only played one proper cricket game and I only managed it once, so he is 192 times better than me at cricket. I can occasionally hit the ball quite hard if someone bowls me a real easy one, so this bloke must be some kind of cricket superman.

7. Steve 'The Game' Douglas
The current number 12 in the darts world, The Game (I like to call him The Dame, so that he's not disowning the D), lost in the second round of the World Championships which was a bit of a disappointment. If you define yourself by 'The Game', then it must be pretty depressing to lose at it. I like darts and am vaguely tempting to resurrect my darting days by joining a club, but I fear my lobbing lethargy of late may hold me back.

8. Paul Di Resta
He may only be Great Britain's third best Formula One driver, but I'm not sure how I'm going to finish this sentence and make him sound like he should actually be considered as a greater personality than Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button, but his name is more exciting and he's Scottish you know.

Right, I've had enough of trawling around the internet searching for mildly worthy contenders; who said there had to be twelve? And I want to get this posted before the end of the show, otherwise the moment will be lost. So, this, I'm afraid, is my short(er than the official shortlist)list.

No comments:

Post a Comment